Football in Schools programme
5+ a Day Football in Schools Programme is part of New Zealand Football's nationwide Whole of Football Plan and is delivered in Wellington by Capital Football through local football clubs.
The approach 5+ a Day Football in Schools takes offers our children new opportunities to get active through football. The programme provides children with a fun experience, using football-based challenges and the joy of playing football as motivation for participation. The programme covers the manipulative skills component of the Fundamental Movement Skills Project and uses football to develop these skills, as well as agility, spatial awareness and team work.
This year Capital Football have teamed up with the Wellington Phoenix to provide programme participants the opportunity to meet some of the Nix players or come along to one of their home matches free of charge. All participating schools will receive either a visit from some of the Wellington Phoenix players or tickets to one of their home games.
This is what schools can expect from a Phoenix visit:
- A mini-game of football with Phoenix players joining in
- A Q & A session with the players
- Opportunities for photos and signings
- Presentation of awards if visit coincides with end of programme
- Increase the opportunities for school-aged children to play football in the school setting
- Increase the number of hours school-aged children spend playing football in deliberate play settings
- Increase the football-specific skill levels of school-aged children
- Raise awareness of football as a free-time school activity
- Football Programme Information 2019 [PDF, 170 KB]
Take a look at our Football Programme Case Study